Laughing Dog Arts

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Heading to Mary's

Last week the creativity group I am in, Stitch 'n Bitch or S&B as we politely call ourselves, met at Mary's house which is across the Columbia River in Washington state.  The bridge is very long as the river is very wide at this point near where it meets the Pacific ocean.  I believe the bridge is 4 miles long.  The photo above shows heading towards the Washington side.  Gray pavement, gray water and gray sky with the misty mountains away off in the distance.  The sea gulls like to fly along the slip stream beside the bridge.  I will always think of them as "glorious birds" since watching Harold and Maude.
I always get a kick out of this sign announcing Dismal Nitch coming up on the right. 
Mary lives on the Long Beach peninsula, where they grow cranberries.  Have you ever seen a cranberry bog?  Above is a photo of one.  They are pretty, with the red plants against the spring greens.

Below is the return trip to the Oregon side.  That is Astoria showing on the hill.  It is a small town but has most everything anyone would need including a pretty good art supply store, Dots 'n Doodles.  Also has a JoAnn's and there are one or two other fabric stores.  What else would anyone need?

Be well. 
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I would be on the floor of the car going across that bridge! I am terrified of bridges that long! (altho the Dismal Nitch sign is a keeper!)
The cranberry bog is so pretty---I've never seen how they were grown and also had no idea they were grown in Oregon. For some reason, I just assumed the East Coast.
See, a new couple of wrinkles in my brain today! :)

XXOO!!
Anne

Maggi said...

So many firsts for me in this post. A bridge that is four miles long! A place called Dismal Nitch - does anyone really want to live there? A cranberry bog - I had no idea that this is how they were grow. You live in a really neat place Jan.

Anonymous said...

The bridge is so cool!! I have always wanted to drive the bridge down in the Florida Keys...((but not during a high wind))!! LOL!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Crazy Mama said...

dismal nitch! hahaha! that's funny. have you ever been curious and gone there to see what it was like? i wish for wet, rainy days like that here, but all i get to do is look at pictures and get envious. hope you had a good time with your s&b group!

Jan said...

Anne, it is so funny the different things people are afraid of, I'd never have guessed you would be afraid of long bridges and bats. Yes, the peninsula grows lots of cranberries and you can visit the Cranberry Museum if you've a mind to. I haven't yet.

Maggi, there are a lot of interesting things around here, like anywhere I suppose. I thought people might enjoy some of these things, different from where you are.

Marilyn, I wouldn't want to cross this bridge in a high wind either!

Lisa, I have not yet gone to Dismal Nitch but someday I shall have to check it out. I don't know if it is a town or a park or just a dismal place. I'll let you know. Lucky for me I enjoy our wet gray weather, as long as we get some sun now and then.

Marlene said...

Fun post, Im in the mountains and wish I were there. I have driven that bridge many times as we have a place close to Mary. I have been through Dismal Nitch when we went home on the Washington side and I really can't remember anything about it, maybe that is why it is dismal (lol). Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments.

sjmcdowell said...

Jan,

I appreciate your message earlier thank you!!

I have always wanted to go to Oregon. I have cousins there in Portland which I have yet to meet. One branch of our family trekked out in their covered wagon a long time ago and my great grandparents went to visit them in the 1880's but did not find it all that wonderful I suppose and trekked all the way back to NYC!! My great grandfathers brother stayed in Oregon and now there are many decendants living there.
It looks so lovely there. I love going on bridges and I have been on many in my lifetime. I worked for a company next to the George Washington Bridge that goes over the Hudson River to NYC at one time, what a beautiful view I had everyday of the bridge.

I've been doing some work in my "Spilling" book...have you???

Lots of Hugs,

Susan

yoborobo said...

Looks like you have everything you need, Jan! Thanks for sharing this with us. I love the cranberry bog. :) xo Pam

Marie S said...

Sigh...I love love love the northwest!
You do indeed, live in a neat place.

Ces Adorio said...

Haha! I just read Anne's comment. it's funnybecause she comes from Louisianna and the longest inland bridge and above the swamp road are both in LA!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Hope a good time was had by all.