Laughing Dog Arts

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Flag book

This is one way to play.  Make a flag book.  I used a hard cover I took off an old Readers Digest condensed book.  Finally, a use for those books!  I covered it with fabric, then, using a stencil and paint sticks I put this bamboo design on it.
I have 20 flags/cards inside.  Each one measures  about 5 1/2 x 4 inches and is decorated on both sides.  It was fun just playing around, decorating the cards.  Rather like making ATC's.  As you can see, sometimes I didn't pay enough attention to the direction of each side of the cards and had to choose which side to be wrong side up.  If I make another one it will have more of a theme..  Or my friend April made hers with little clear sleeves that will hold ATC's.  Or you could put photos in it.  Lots of things could be done with it.  I'm done with this one for now.

Be well. 
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

That turned out really neat Jan. The two ribbons; they wrap around the sping and hold the cars in place?
Nope, just looked and it's more than two. The ribbon wraps each PAGE to hold it in place. (pre coffee brain...sorry!)

XXOO!!
Anne

yoborobo said...

That's a great idea, Jan! I've never heard of a flag book, but they would make a lovely treasure holder, I think. :) With little pockets inside? I need more time to make things!! xox Pam

Unknown said...

adorable. :)

audrey said...

Jan, this is great! There are so many possibilities. I love that you take the time to experiment with things like this. I really need to get into a different mind set and start creating more. Love this!!
♥ audrey

Marlene said...

Jan the Flag book looks amazing and I would love to learn how to make one. Is it possible to get directions on how to attach everything together from you or do you know of a site that has instructions?

Crazy Mama said...

that looks really neat, jan! how do you get the pages inside to stay? i can't figure out how they are attached.

Maggi said...

A lovely book Jan, the cover is gorgeous. I can't work out how you attach the pages.

Anonymous said...

Great project Jan. I am doing the Modge Podge bowls now but I am putting this away on file.
QMM

Nancy said...

I love this! There's a journal/flag book in me still I'm sure. No wonder your fabrics are neglected. You are having too much fun with this! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments. Nancy