Laughing Dog Arts

Monday, June 21, 2010

Little folded books

First of all, I would like to say "Welcome" to my new followers.  I really appreciate your stopping by and signing up to come back.  Followers and comments are always fun to receive and I intend to reply personally to all of them.  If you are a no reply commenter, I will reply in my comments.  Thanks!!
Recently my friend Maggi over at
sent me the little folded book you see above, with the two wooden beads on the cover.  The second photo shows the inside.  She included a couple of tags with photos of two of her pets.  I was so entranced with this tiny little book, I knew I had to make one.  When I showed it to my creativity group, they all wanted to make one also.
So we did.  Above you can see three of the little books.  They're not finished but aren't they delightful?  The books are only 3 inches square, they fit into the palm of my hand.
 I went ahead and made some more.  These are 3 that I made above, they are finished.  Below you can see the inside of one.
 Below, the blue one, with some roving and a bit of bead work on the cover.

More  bead work on the cover of this one below. 

This one with the pink scrim, I used a scrumptious square that I received in a swap.  The square is 1 1/2 inches and was made by Pricilla Schrock.  I found the books store my scrumptious squares perfectly.  They are fun and easy to make.  I will keep them around to give as little gifts, probably.  I'll likely make more when I need a fun little project.


Be well. Happy Summer Solstice to you all.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Ah Jan!

These are beautiful books! Makes me want to be doing something other than what I am...(the big thing! LOL!)
I like how they all have different character and feel about them.
Very nice....:)

XXOO!!
Anne

Anja said...

Dear Jan,

I am always overwhealmed with some of your works, sigh....
I would choose the one with the green leaf and feather.

Have a good time, nice having visited your blog!

Anja

Anonymous said...

Wow Beautiful!!!

Where do you live in the PNW?

I write mostly on my odd odd blog...

Cold and windy here... how about you?
: ) Pattee

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Jan!!

Oh I love these little books...do you think you could do a tutorial on them at some point. I would really like to know how you make them. I can think of all different venues I could use them for... You work as usual is fresh and new and wonderful to look at.

Smiles,

Susan

Crazy Mama said...

jan, what great little books! they're each so creative and have their own personality to them. it was great of you to share this with your group. wish i was there and could have made one too! hugs to you.

Marlene said...

Delightful little books. The are so fun to make, but I have not tried one that small, I just might have to.

Nancy said...

These are absolutely delightful! I see why you can't stop making them. No wonder...what fun.

Abi said...

Indeed.. the books are lovely. They look fun to make.
Thanks for visiting my blog... Gosh, how did you manage to go from 8 dogs to 1! we keep gaining at the moment! wouldn't have it any other way though.. :O)
Bernards legs are fairly long... I think it was the angle of the photo... Definately lab mix... I guess we will wait and see eh!
Hope you have a good week :O)

Elena said...

Simply gorgeous!

Tam Hess said...

Those little books are so cute! They remind me of my deco swapping days.

Thanks for stopping by my site...I'm sooo awol these days. I do the cycle thing with blogging.

OH MY the weather is strange. Some people I know are moving because they can't take it. Whimps! ;) The trees remind me of the Bend Oregon area. We used to visit there every summer.

audrey said...

Hi Jan!
Sweet, sweet little books. I, too, would love to see you do a tutorial. I can see many uses for them and the creativity end of it is endless. Thank you for posting these.
♥ audrey

Robbie said...

What great little journals..wouldn't they make nice gifts! Very nice choice of fabrics and embellishments in each of them. Thanks for sharing!

Jan said...

Hi Nancy, thanks. they are rather addictive to make, such sweet little things!

Tam, I'm a third generation Oregonian, with webbed feet. Can't budge me! I love the rain! Of course, I don't mind a bit of sun now and then.....

April said...

Jan, these are great! I agree, they will make wonderful gifts. Sounds like your followers are looking for a tutorial. Teach Jan...I like the sound of that.

Anonymous said...

Jan, the books are absolutely gorgeous.

Martha Bright said...

These are beautiful, Jan! I can see how making them would be addictive. I love mine, but so does little RicRac, so I have to hide it from him. He says it matches his eyes...

Linda Vincent said...

I love these little books...I also have one given to me by Maggi.
Have you tried Lotus Flower Books? If you want a tutorial these's one on my blog here
Linda