Laughing Dog Arts

Monday, November 29, 2010

Coats


For years I was more focused on creating wearable items than I was on creating wall art.  I sold hundreds of garments, mostly vests and jackets but also coats.  Once I learned how to create these faux chenille items I really had fun.  Okay, maybe fun isn't quite the right word.  It was fun when they sold, that's for sure.  In fact, the woman who worked at the boutique where I sold these, (The Real Mother Goose) was one of my best customers.  She bought 3 of them!  They are really gorgeous garments, they feel like a fur coat, only better because no animals were killed to make them! 

 They are constructed of up to 6 layers of fabric, mainly rayons and cottons.
I stitch rows (and rows and rows and rows) of half inch wide channels.
Then I slash the fabric between the stitching, leaving only the base fabric uncut.   I then construct the garment and put it through the washer and drier, that fluffs up the cut edges and creates the furry look.

I haven't made any of these in a couple of years but I still have these left overs that I am showing you today.  Mostly they are too big for me to wear.  I have considered putting them into my Etsy shop but hesitate because people really should try them on and feel them to get a good idea of the luxurious texture and fine construction.  So here they sit, hanging around the studio. 


I will show some other garments I have hanging around another time.  Until then, 
Be well.


Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

audrey said...

Jan,
These are BEAUTIFUL!! I am in awe at the range of talent you have. I doubt there is much you can't do. I definitely think you should put these in your Etsy shop. If the size is right, I would purchase one ~ what an uplifting pop of color to wear at this time of year with the trees and all becoming drab.
I see a mobile in the first picture with houses and birds. It looks very interesting, as well. And I bet you made it. I have been toying with making one of those with all birds ~ you have really inspired me.
These jackets really are beautiful, Jan. I can see why they sold so well. They are calling out to be Etsy bound. Have you set up shop there and I missed it? ):
I hope your Thanksgiving was delightful.
♥ audrey

Tam Hess said...

Those coats look rich and luxurious. I am such a sucker for bright colors. Beautiful! You are really talented at putting just the right colors together. :) Hugs, milkywaymocha@yahoo.com incase ya need it!

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Jan,
What gorgeous jackets you have made! I can see why they'd sell very easily, especially in your snowy season.
Hugs,
Anna

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh these coats are simply amazing. I know all the hard work that goes into them. Definitely wearable art.
Nicole/Beadwright

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I have one of Jans vests, and I can tell you they are absolutely scrumptious! Every time I wear it, people ask about it.
So if any of you need a testimony to consider a purchase---HEAR HEAR!!!
This will be the nicest thing you could give yourself for Christmas, or New Years, or just because you deserve a goodie! :D

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Perlenkatze said...

Jan, your coats ae looking so gorgeous. Is there anything in the world, you can't do with your hands and garnment????? ^Q^
A lot of hugs.
Gabie

Anja said...

Dear Jan, I am overwhelmed when looking at your new post! You have a lot of good ideas to set your creativity free. Funny this weekend I bought at a finnish adventsmarket a coatjacket similar yours. The texture looks great at the last photo.
Here it snows, snows and snows.
Hope you have had a good week!
Anja

yoborobo said...

Jan! You have so many talents! I would definitely list these in your shop. Just include measurements - I'm sure they will find a loving home. xo! Pam

Maggi said...

They are lovely Jan. What a pity there is nowhere close by that you could put them up for sale where people could try them on. What about that place that held your exhibition?

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic, wow, I just love work like this. Let's see you model. xox Corrine

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Jan,

Oh how Wonderful these jackets look and I bet they are warm and cozy too!! You make such lovely things!!!

I love the Red one....I would buy it if you sold it!!:D

Hugs and Smiles,
susan

Heloise said...

These jackets are beautiful and must have taken many hours to create. I have made small samples using this technique. I am amazed by your creations.

Martha Bright said...

I remember hearing about how you make these. They are amazing!

Nancy said...

Jan, these are wonderful. Cuddly, warm, full of texture and color! That's a lot of work represented here.

Deborah said...

OMGoodness, they are works of art!!! If you wanted to list them on your ETSY, perhaps you could give the flat measurement across the front. Then the shopper doubles that and decides if it would work. But I know what you mean about feeling the texture. Fabulous. You are briliant! **blows kisses** Deb

Bunny said...

Oh My Gosh I have made those too. Lots of them and for sure they are not that much fun to make LOL. I also made Maggie Walker's jacket and sold many of them too. I guess I made at least 25 of them with all the glitzy thread stitched all over them. LOL. Your jackets are wonderful.