Laughing Dog Arts

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

More book making

Sharing more books I have made recently.  This first one I used lots of papers that were used behind other paintings.  I love the wide variety of abstract marks that show up on these papers and use them frequently.  Making this book was a good way to use some up.
This book now sits on my morning table and I am adding art work and mark making to it daily.  Having fun with it.

This is one of the background papers that collect paint and where I wipe off rubber stamps.
A rogues gallery

I used elastic hair ties to attach the signatures.

This next one is not a traditional book.  I suppose I ought to call it a scroll.
 Click on the pictures to read the Mary Oliver poem, Sleeping In The Forest.


 Hmmm, I don't know why the above picture has such a different color.  The one below has correct coloration.
"grappling with a luminous doom."  I love that line.
Above are pictures of the outside of the scroll.  I used coffee dyed muslin for the base, hand stitching small panels together.  Then I copied a poem by Mary Oliver titled Sleeping In The Forest on used tea bag papers and glued them to the muslin.  I've rolled the whole thing onto a knobby stick I found.
 The panels on this side correspond to the poem on the reverse side.  This is a little embroidery I created a year or so ago, I thought it would fit into this story well.  There is a little "pocket" holding seeds, beads and lichen.
 Stones on the river bed.
 "Nothing between me and the white fire of the stars but my thoughts, and they floated light as moths among the branches of the perfect trees."  The moth painting is from a Heron Dance book.  I stitched down tiny star sequins.
 I stamped insect images on used tea bag paper and it can cover this image and owl feathers.  I glued just the top edge of it down.
Most of the images I used are from the Heron Dance book.  They are paper and I glued them down.

 I love Mary Oliver's poetry.  And I love the Heron Dance publications with most of the watercolor paintings by Rod MacIver.  The two seem to go together well.  I do not have any copyrights to these works so this scroll is purely for me.  I think I will put it in a quiet glade in my forest and see how it holds up to the elements over the years.



7 comments:

Patty said...

I'm inhaling Oliver's poem and your beautiful scroll. A brave thing,
to sleep in the forest. Loving these new books.

Nancy said...

Love your daily book. Isn't is something how those "wipe off" pages always look so lovely and appealing in a book? The scroll is wonderful- that is a labor-intensive project. I love the wrapped twine beaded bits, and the stitching and feathers. And now you'll give it up to the elements? That's a big step.

sonja said...

" Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
i think i know..... make art and share! Your books are charming stories of collected thoughts and various material.
i also adore Mary Oliver's arrangement of words as in the snippet from Summer's Day above.

Robbie said...

Love your books...but your scroll is so cool!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Using hair ties is a brilliant idea! OMGOSH I love that scroll. It's the coolest little "book" I ever saw.

xx, Carol

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw your comment on Nancy's blog and had to check your art out. I love your little books, and that scroll is out of this world. I have an art friend who adds an entry a day like that. She hand stitches everything.

I actually came by because I saw you are doing ICADs this year. I will try to stop by often, since I am also doing them. This will be my 6th year.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hi again Jan. In reference to your question about how I store my ICADs, I made a box to hold them in. The first box I made was from cardboard, and it held the cards for the first two years (IF I stuffed the ICs in). Then I made one from an old book cover and I have room for at least one, maybe two more years after 2018. Thanks for asking. How do you store yours? I'm actually thinking about using some of my favorites in my art journals and altered books.