Laughing Dog Arts

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Honey Spinning

Today we spun last fall's honey out of the honey comb.  We had two of these boxes, called supers, each with full trays of honey comb.
 You can see all the residual wax along the edges of the trays.
 Here Steve scrapes the wax covering off of the combs, opening them up so the honey can be extracted.
 We have a centrifugal honey extractor.  Two full trays can be inserted at one time, and then the handle is turned by hand, spinning the trays around and extracting the honey.
 Once one side of the trays are extracted, they are turned around and extracted more from the other side.
 Spout on the bottom of the spinner allows the honey to be drained into 5 gallon buckets.
 This comb tool helps open up the honey cells that the knife missed.  All the scrapings are saved and we put them out for the bees to gather the last bits of honey before we save the wax.  It can be melted and filtered to get all the unsavory bits out of it, and then the wax used however we see fit.  We use it in lip balms and hand creams, and I have also used it to make encaustic wax for my art work.  My house smells wonderful now, redolent of honey and bees wax.  Because most of the wax remains in the trays, we don't harvest much of it.  The bees will reuse the trays, hopefully filling them up again over the summer.  We got about 8 and 1/2 gallons of honey from these two supers today.
If you would like to see the post I created years ago where we captured a wild swarm of bees, you can see it here:  Going Buggy.
Other news from the home front, the hummingbirds have returned!  Too bad we can't feed them the honey but evidently it isn't good for them.  Seems odd but I'm not going to test it.  They get pure cane sugar syrup with no added coloring.
Till next time, be well.

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Jan. This is an interesting post. I never gave any thought to how honey is extracted from the combs. Do you sell the honey and products you make from the wax? Raising bees and harvesting honey feels like a very Environmentally friendly endeavor.
xx, Carol

Nancy said...

This is fascinating! I never heard the term "spinning honey", but it's perfectly descriptive. I've seen hives, and combs, and honey in the comb- but never thought about how it's extracted. I can almost smell it now!

Robbie said...

8 1/2 gallons of honey! Wow! That's really wonderful!!! I love buying fresh honey from our local farmers market who raise bees and collect the honey! What a great and interesting post! Thanks!!!

emma-alittlebitofeverything said...

Fantastic, I'd heard it was spun but couldn't imagine how!Looks amazing.;) Love your new header, just beautiful

April said...

Wow, Jan! What an interesting post! I didn't realize that you 'spun' your honey! So neat! But what a lot of work! Not so much compared to your worker bees, I suppose! Thanks for posting! Bob and I went to your previous post to see Steve capturing the wild bee swarm. Also a great post! Thanks for sharing your industrious lives with us! You two are amazing!

Tanya said...

Fascinating! How lucky you are to have bees as your friends! It sounds like a fairy world to me! There was once a farmer who kept bee hives in the forest behind our house but I never knew what became of the honey. I walked a clear path around all the hives.

Anonymous said...

WOW. That's alot of honey. Went to a demo of top bar hives in which the bees create their own hive to keep that parasite out, can't spin that I suspect, didn't pursue because we worried about keeping them alive through the cold winters - and dog issues, but it's in the back of my mind. So cool what you do. xox