Laughing Dog Arts

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lately

I became enthused to try to make a little weaving on my small beading loom.  I strung it with red upholstery thread and began weaving in various fibers and ribbons and threads.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it once I finished it, I didn't have a plan.

After I put it on this piece of felt I had made, I liked it there so that is where I attached it.

This little silver decoration is a fork.  I've had it for over 20 years and now it seems to fit into this piece nicely.  By the way, the black background is not part of the piece.

Another thing I've been working on lately are these postcards that were mailed out to the other gals in my Stitch 'n Bitch group.  If you want to see what kinds of things we do you can check out our blog here: Fox On The Run.

Today I was playing with my needle felting machine.  I took some suggestions from Maggi at To Dream To Stitch and layered some silver foil on purple felt with Misty Fuse between the layers.  Then I needled silk and wool fibers on top. You can see the colors I used in the bundle to the right there. Next came some pale green organza, needled and then hit with a heat gun to melt the organza mostly away.  The photo below shows the foil fused to the felt, next to the left over foil.


Not sure what I where I will go with it from here.  Some hand work, for sure.

We did get some sun finally, and I was busy outside doing gardening and walking, enjoying the sun.  Today was back to pure clouds and a bit of rain.   I'm still here.  I guess I'm just an ol' backslider, not worth rapturing.

Be well.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Love the colors in your little weaving! That's quite a fancy fork.

maddyrose said...

Never thought to use a beading loom to weave on. Too bad mine got left behind in my last move or I'd give it a try. I'm totally intrigued with the piece with the foil that you did on the felting machine and hope you post it when you finish. It felt good to get outside and mess around in the yard. We too had a brief bit of sunny weather and are now back with the cloudy sky and sprinkles. Have a great Sunday.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love that weaving! And it looks super on the felt and then the black too, as that sets it all off. (yes, I am suggesting more work for you...because you are my friend!)
Fun items; glad to see you successfully using the felting machine! :-)

XXOO~~
Anne

Anja said...

I love this post. A pity you couldn't sit next to me and listening to all the words of admiration, as "das ist ja toll" means, oh is that awesome. One can see you are really a highly creative person. Nice you had have some sunbeans and enjoyed being outside in the garden.

Robbie said...

OK, the weaving piece is my favorite! How cool this turned out!! You just never know what you'll get do you! Now to get a bigger loom!!! Cool, cool piece!

Maggi said...

The weaving has turned out great, as has the embellishing. Just love the silk tops that are hanging over your machine, such rich colours. Glad you enjoyed the sun while you could. The wind is howling and the rain lashing here today, definitely a day to be indoors.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love that woven piece. I want to try a woven piece. I was thinking of using some mesh I have been saving.

Anonymous said...

Creative freedom at it's best, that little fork just sets the whole weaving off beautifully. We had a little sun on Saturday and believe me I was outside the door like a shot. Walking dogs in the rain is getting old! xox Corrine

Linda Vincent said...

Lovely pieces Jan....bet the weaving was fun to do. Maggi has some great ideas, doesn't she? I'm going to her place tomorrow to do some nuno felting :-)

Robin Olsen said...

Love your weaving--such fun, perky colors!