Laughing Dog Arts

Friday, January 28, 2011

Stuff I have accumulated #1

Rummaging through my valuable supplies, looking for cool stuff to attach to my current dooleybobber, I came across these items.  I likely picked them up at some garage sale.  Here is what every woman needs, a Sew It Yourself skirt kit.  Make it tonight!  The fabric is of undetermined fibers, but what a deal!  Only $1.00!!
Complete with instructions!!  It is as easy as 1-2-3!

Can be fit to any size from  8 to 16!  I'm about a size 8 but I haven't had a 20 inch waist since I was 14 years old.  I think yesterdays size 8 is today's size 2.
 If you are needing repairs on your brassiere or garter belt, help is available.  I have the Perfect Fastener for you!
Hose supporters.  I'll bet young people these days equate hose with record albums and rotary dial phones.  If they had any idea what those things were.  Come to think of it, they would be right to equate all those things together.

I hope you enjoyed this little trip down vintage lane.

Be well. 
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Emma said...

Lovely vintage stuff - my grandmother left me her little sewing basket & I loved the packaging of the needles & poppers & the messy jumble of threads. You can see where I get my hoarding from! Yes, same desk, you can just see the jars of pens, brushes etc in different positions. I was tempted to sweep the lot of it into a bag but would never see it again - was determined to make it 'work' for me!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love vintage sewing items such as these. You used to be able to find them around here, but they are long gone. Heck, I used to be able to get replacement garters at the fabric store but not anymore.
Now they are specialty items with prices to match, and I think the last place I found them online was in Canada.
Nice tour! :-)

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Crazy Mama said...

undertermined fibers. haha. for some reason that strikes me as funny. maybe because it's the crack of 0'dark thirty or something. and that size chart is also very funny. a size 16 with a 28" waist? um, yeah. hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the vintage items. I have several of my own, bought when they weren't vintage. I hope you post more of these.

Marie Drozdis

Marlene said...

Fun post - did bring back memories. I was so happy when they came out with panty hose and we could get rid of garter belts.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Jan. I found some of these same things when I inherited my Mom's sewing basket, but that skirt kit takes the cake! xox Corrine

Robbie said...

This really shows my age BUT I used to use those hosiery hooks!!! OMG!! I forgot all about those dumb things!! They would hook to your panties and then to your hose!! UGH!!! Save the zippers from your pattern! You can use them when you make a 'humbug' bag! I used up all my old zippers! Great use for them.

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Jan,

OMG!!! Yikes! This means I was considered very large back then by those sizes....hahaha!!

I love the old sewing notions from back then....Thanks for the trip
down memory lane!!

Hugs and Smiles,

Susan

Maggi said...

Greta to see these snippets of history.

Martha Bright said...

Hilarious. I can just see you in that skirt of undetermined fibers! Is that like a meatloaf of undetermined ingredients? Ha ha Guess I am in a strange mood today.

Anja said...

Looks it is as old as me this garage discoveries. Reminds me at the wrappings in my childhood.