Laughing Dog Arts

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Needle felting machine arrived!!

It's here!  My new Janome needle felting machine!  Also called an embellishing machine.  It doesn't sew, the needles in it are felting needles which means they have little barbs on the ends that cause the fibers of whatever it is you are running them over to push down and stay down when the needles come back up.  This machine has 5 needles but there are others that have different numbers of needles.
Of course I have been playing with it today.  Above you can see a couple of samples.  The orange one on the left was a wet felted piece that I needle felted some rayon fabric pieces down, shaped a flower.  The red and green one I started with a piece of batting and began needle felting bits of roving down, then added some scrim and ribbons to form the circles.
Above is some work I did on the piece I wet felted and showed here in my last post.  I think I liked it better before.  I'm not liking the purplish bits I put on.  since I took the picture I also have done some bead work in it.  Not sure if I will continue with this one or not.

Here is a shot of my ironing board, covered with my bags of colored roving. My blogging friend Maggi sent me some suggestions at my request so I shall be trying them out.  Also I bought the Quilting Arts In Stitches emagazine and there is a good article in it by Jane LaFazio with video showing how she needle felts her pieces on her machine.  Maggi suggested I try putting a piece of organdy under the needles to see what kind of texture they provide after felting.  Oh Yeah!  Very cool, they turn into little caterpillar like bits.  Fun!  Okay, gotta go, I have a play date in the studio!

Be Well.
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

sjmcdowell said...

Oh Jan how awesome is that Felting Machine!! I have seen them in action and sorta kinda drooled over it!!!
I am soo happy for you and I know your gonna to have so much fun with this machine!!! I can't wait to see All the wonderful new creations you will be making!!
Your felted pieces in an ealier post are beautiful, love all the colors...very Yummy!!

Hugs and Felting Fun!!

Susan
xxoo

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I am SO HAPPY it has a good home and will obviously be used and loved.
I think, if I remember correctly, there should also be a single needle and the different throat plate for it. I never could figure it out and I have no doubt you'll be making more wonderful thing!
GO JAN GO!!!!

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Bunny said...

Congrats you will have sew much fun. Don't forget to try some lining fabric on canvas and also some lame etc etc lots of different fabric. It is amazing.

Robbie said...

Good for you!!! Do enjoy your new toy!!! You'll get lots of use from it as you use felting in your work. Can't wait to see more from you!!

Emma said...

catching up here! Love those stones (not sure what they are tho) & your moon shot is great! As for your desk top, well, you can still see the desk! My dining room table would be covered.....if allowed ;)

Isn't the embellisher machine exciting? In stitches emag is v helpful to tell you anything goes. I was quoting Jane LaFazio too when I showed my recent felted piece - she does so much!

yoborobo said...

Don't forget to eat and drink water! hahah! I get like that with new art supplies. Lost in my own little lost world, just the way I like it. Have fun! I love those colors. :) Xox Pam

Marlene said...

Cool machine, now I want one. I like the effect and I bet it goes so much faster than by hand. It will be fun to see what you create with it.

DVArtist said...

Jan this is so cool. I want one!!!! Thanks for sharing all of this. I can't wait to see all of your new designs
Nicole/Beadwright

stephanie said...

wow !!! That sounds and looks good !!!!! I'm happy for you!!!
Steph

Tam Hess said...

HOORAY for new tools for more great art! :)

Anonymous said...

I suspect we will be seeing many many experiments from this fabulous machine. The dogs will be biting at your heals to drag you away. Have fun. xox Corrine

Maggi said...

Great to see the efforts so far Jan, you really seem to be getting to grips with the machine. You could always try working from the back into the purple bits, they will integrate more and you might like them better

April said...

Ohhh, you're gonna LOVE your new machine. Very nice, Anne!!! If there is anyone I know who LIKES to read instructions...it's you, Jan. You'll have that new machine figured out in no time at all. Have fun!!!

Linda Vincent said...

What a coincidence!....I have just ordered a Janome embellishing machine (it arrives tomorrow :-)) Can't wait!
I've been hooked ever since having a go on Maggi's machine. (Good that we have her for helpful advice)
Love what you're doing....

Martha Bright said...

Wow! I didn't know you were going to spring for this! Drop me a note about the model, price, etc. The one I bought, that was a made-over $20 sewing machine from Target, was a piece of crap. And I paid a lot more than $20 for it. Are you happy you got it? Do you like what it does? Cool!

Marie S said...

Lucky you this is awesome and I am sure you will be coming out with a ton of new stuff with it!
Congratulations.

Anja said...

For having an image what that machine does I saw two youtube videos, that is magical what your machine will serve for. Now you have a lot of possiblities to create new feltings which will be amazing. It is like painting with wool silk or other fabrics, I will be courious what will come next!

Mary Fox of Fox On The Run said...

Jan, you are going to have soooo much fun with your new machine. Would you bring the things you have done so far on Tues? I would love to see them. I can just see you making the neatest things with it.